We’ve all been at a point where the first two to three years our laptops are functioning perfectly, and then all over sudden, they begin slowing down gradually until you feel irritated and need to do something about it. It doesn’t matter whether your laptop is expensive, high quality, or cheap; they all experience this challenge.
Many people think of when they are trying to make their laptops faster with a factory reset. Theoretically, this method should work perfectly fine. It involves resetting your laptop back to how it used to be when you first bought it. That’s the theory everybody believes in, but does it work, or should you find other ways to make your laptop faster? Let’s find out.
Will A Factory Reset Make My Laptop Faster?
The truth is that a factory will automatically make your laptop run faster than it used to, and it’s a brilliant idea.
However, you should be aware that factory resetting your laptop means deleting everything that’s your laptop and making it look brand new to run faster.
While this method will work perfectly and make your laptop faster, many people choose not to go forward with this method unless they must do it. But in case you have no issue with the method or inherited the laptop from a friend or family member, then factory reset is definitely for you. Below are ways you can factory reset on both Mac and Windows devices.
How To Factory Reset a Macbook
- First, turn off your Macbook before you proceed.
- The next step is to turn the Macbook on while holding the Command Key +R.
- Go ahead and press enter on the disk utility.
- You can now select your storage named Mac HD. You move on and erase it.
- The last step is to turn your Macbook back on and then reinstall the Mac operating system.
However, you should make sure that you backup files that you might need to use in the future before you proceed with this process. This method will clear your hard drive, so save anything you might need to Cloud or external storage.
How To Factory Reset A Windows Laptop
- Via the Windows icon, go ahead and click on settings.
- Next, you need to click on security and updates.
- Proceed and click on recovery.
- You’ll see a place written reset. Click on it.
- When you click on it, you’ll be given an option of files you want to delete. Click on your preferred choice.
You can check task managers before you start the reset process so that you don’t wipe out all your files. Sometimes wiping just a few files might do the trick for you rather than deleting everything.
The main reason why many people don’t want to factory reset is that they know the process will delete all their installed programs and files. The idea of losing important documents is why most people think twice about factory resetting. The good thing is that if you only want to get rid of some temporary files, then you can go for a regular reset instead.
The best and most advisable way to keep your files even after factory resetting is by storing your files and programs on the cloud. You can also use other external storage devices to ensure that your files are safe even after the whole process is over.